Sunday, June 25, 2006

Welcome

Hi everybody! I have been toying around with blogging on MySpace, and I finally decided to set up a real one here. This way, I have a link to give the relatives and they don't have to get all freaked out about how to use MySpace. :-)

A little bit about me:
I am half Italian, a quarter Dutch, and a quarter English/Irish blend. (Wow, I sound like something from Starbucks.) Anyway, it's from the Italian side that I get my love of food. My Dad always worked in the restaurant industry when I was growing up. More specifically, Italian fine dining. I was running around the kitchen of Perino's at 6 years old begging the pastry chef to give me some homemade ice cream, which I would then eat with grissini (small dry Italian breadsticks). I didn't know he was the best pastry chef in L.A. All I knew was his ice cream was damn good.

Now, my Dad can barely boil water. Luckily, he is a food snob and will not eat non-Italian food unless there are copius amounts of pork involved. (Long story about only eating pork once a year as a child, when they killed the pig.) So, my non-Italian mother had to learn to cook Italian cuisine. And she's good. So I was eating rabbit, lamb, and octopus in elementary school, while other kids ate macaroni and cheese. While nobody wanted to come to my house for dinner, I did develop an expansive palate. Nowadays I am sort of picky (no eggplant, etc.), but I will try anything once. Even twice. Or thrice. (Ex: escargot. It was nasty all 3 times.)

So, you want me to get to the point? Welcome to THE FOOD PAGE. My place to rave about some artisan cheese I tried, or some great meal I had. Please feel free to comment.

Your wannabe Annapurna,
Lety

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pat on the back. Who's Annapurna? A food critic I haven't heard of? A literary character I can't remember? A mythological character I never learned about? Enquiring minds want to know.

Lety said...

She's the Hindu goddess of cooking/food/harvest.