Sunday, June 25, 2006

Valentino Santa Monica

This is an older review:

For those of you who know me, you know I have a HORRIBLE memory. For those of you who know me really well, you know that the only way I can remember events are by what I happened to be eating at those events. For example, I remember the first time I ever had truffles (the fungus kind). It was Christmas Eve '94 at Toscana. Mmm. Black truffle ravioli in a brown butter sauce with shaved parmesan. (Yeah, if this law school thing doesn't work out, I'm going to work the food critic angle.)

What is the point of all this rambling, you ask? Well, last week I ate at Valentino, arguably the best Italian restaurant in LA. [Osteria Latini in Brentwood is a close second.] And I felt I should write about it not only because it was so good, but because I tend to actually forget what I ate at Valentino because I've never seen the menu and debated over choices. (The owner just keeps bringing out courses for us.) So, we started with an anitpasto plate with "parmesan chips" which are really delicate sheets of shredded parmesan, Italian olives (I forget what kind), and whitefish carpaccio. Then there was cured venison (I think like a bresaola.) Then we had jumbo grilled prawns wrapped with swordfish, the shrimp was cooked just right, not too tough or stringy. Then there was a trio of ravioli (TO DIE FOR) with prosciutto, squash, and I think the third was wild boar. Then we had venison risotto (it was okay, but I'm super picky about risotto.) Then we had this AMAZING filet mignon. I was really impressed with the perfect grill marks. For desert we had assorted gelati and pretty good homemade cannoli (but I'm not really into cannoli).

So anyway, I guess I was just wishing I was at some really expensive restaurant instead of sitting here attempting to write my legal memo. And if any of you have any restaurant recommendations (outside of Italian) I'd love to hear them. I'm always looking for my next favorite place.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

VALENTINO & WINE ‘the best I ever had’…!!!





VALENTINO Santa Monica, CA ‘ the best I ever had out ‘



Tuna tartar paired with Prosecco...notes of tangerine, grapefruit, pear ...perfect…



Lobster, organic tomatoes, ricotta cheese very smooth paired perfect with Venica and Venica 2006 tocai friuli 2006 14 alc 2006 Collio... pail gold, honey nose, white fig, nice minerality, great balance 14 % alc by vol …points 93…perfect…



Prosciutto 20 month aged, succulent soft aged to perfection paired with a white wine from Umbria 2006 13.5 alc, DOA , vapid served way to cold ... with some cupping it started to open up, still it did not harm the Prosciutto...



Salmon, fennel, onion perfect paired with... Cinco Denti Sicily white 2006 wine, head fake, Juniper, tulips, flowers, fig, honeysuckle ...95 points perfect...



Cannelloni pasta with tomato, provolone, fatty meat like tripe, I flashed back 40 years with my Grandmother cooking all day having the house smell of every gustory bliss you could ever imagine... paired with Rosso dello Sparviero Toscana alc by vol 13.5% ...Dark ruby red ink , Brett , yes I asked what do you smell ...?... horse, earth, dust, mature manure, very complex if you like Brett , I do ... cinnamon, clove, cherry flying by...88 points very nice drink now or she will ride away...





Braised Lamb Shanks, cauliflower minced into a cake with different levels of complexity, brussel sprouts wilted and limp covered in oil, spice...paired with ... Barolo 2003 Sori Ginestra , dark ink tar, pepper black, eucalyptus, black tar licorice, blackberry, a real monster big dog style hang time...points 93 perfect...



At this point I sat back and conversed about this and that and really enjoyed the moment...I did stop to smell the roses...at that very moment in time I came to know it was the wine and the company that made this a wonderful meal...family first...



We had more courses at this time I only recall the best ones...apricot, pecans, almonds, strawberry, various cheeses.... paired with a desert wine...I forget the name and vintage, but who cares it was very good... 95 points…

Unknown said...

at least you didn't get shafted with more kobe beef that tasted like dead kitties. valentino's really is amazing-- all except for that thing we ate that was questionable. one of my many motivations for moving back to LA is to dine like you do-- for free :)