Monday, February 26, 2007

AGO West Hollywood

The Magnolia crew, some of whom accompanied me to Ago



So we go to Ago, arguably the best Italian restaurant in Los Angeles. (And I can argue, trust me, I’m a proto-lawyer.) Ago is constantly in Us Weekly (last week Madonna and Guy Ritchie went there). The night we were there, only Ariana Huffington and Eric Benet showed up. But normally it's good for some celebrity spotting. Juju (a.k.a. Julie and Julia) have a Wednesday night tradition of going out to fabulous dinners. Sometimes they let Danny and Steve come along. Now I was eavesdropping on their conversation during one of our many nights at Magnolia, and they said they wanted to go to Ago. Now, I actually KNOW Agostino Sciandri (the chef/owner). I went to his daughter’s fricking wedding people! And I know all the waiters, since they are old timers who worked with my dad at Madeo, Perino’s and the Rex. So, I tell them if they go, they have to take me so we can get VIP treatment. And we did!

I arrive, and Stefano, the manager, greets me Italian style (kiss kiss!). Michele is there (who married Ago’s daughter, so I went to his wedding too I suppose). We go to our table, and who is our waiter? SAVERIO! I have known Saverio since I was a kid. In fact, he used to live at our house in Glendale. I made his bed one day, and he said in thanks he would buy me whatever I wanted. I told him I needed a two-wheel bike because I was getting too old for my tricycle. And of course he had to buy it for me. Ah, the manipulative nature of little girls. *sigh!* Frankly, it’s a wonder that anyone reproduces, SERIOUSLY. Ok, ok, now for the food!

I split the burrata appetizer with Jordan, with green beans. MMM. I love a soft gooey mozzarella, and that’s exactly what a burrata is! Steve and Julia had mozzarella caprese, which was also very high quality mozzarella (and Steve should know, he’s in “the business” of cheese). Danny had like, a green salad (lame! I mean, c’mon!). Julie and Morgan had white asparagus which they shared with the rest of us luckily. Drizzled with EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and grated Grana Padana… FABULOUS! I love white asparagus when they’re done right. Unfortunately if they are done WRONG they are stringy and tough… these didn’t even need a fork. I love white asparagus especially because they are a specialty from my dad’s region in Italy. That’s why all the farmers there drive Mercedes Benzes. They have the white asparagus monopoly. Yay abolition of antitrust!

For entrees, Steve had the lamb which was THE BEST I have EVER tasted! It didn’t need a knife, it just melted, the flesh was thick and juicy. MMMM. Julie and I are carnivores, so we both got the wood burning oven seared Ribeye. It was tasty, but a little too burned on the outside (wood can be hard to control, and we ordered medium rare, I mean, it shouldn’t have been charred) and the cut was a bit fatty. Ribeye should be nicely marbled, not fully of nasty fatty chunks. Julia had the spinach agnellotti in a butter sage sauce, and we all know I BRAKE for butter sage sauce. Morgan had the grouper over artichokes with cherry tomatoes, which was flaky and delicious! The sauce was simple and flavorful and really worked with the delicate nature of the fish. The funniest part of the grouper was Saverio’s description of it as a “deep sea fish” to which he used his hand to explain DEEP in the sea. Danny had the grilled swordfish which was SO amazing. OMG. However, ever since Kitchen Confidential all I can think about swordfish is it’s teeming with worms and they die when you cook it so it’s OK, but I really don’t order it anymore (it used to be my favorite after shark… which now I can’t order because I’ll get mercury poisoning… ugh!) Jordan ordered the homemade linguine with lobster. The lobster was tasty tender and infused with flavor, but the pasta left a lot to be desired. The best Italian restaurant in LA can’t make a decent pasta? Are we serious people? GET IT TOGETHER!!!!

And dessert was a little bit of everything! They just brought over a platter, on the house! Tiramisu, banana tart, strawberry tart, walnut apple tart, ricotta cheesecake, mixed berry tart, and chocolate tart. My favorites were the tiramisu (Mario’s recipe which they still use even though they allegedly fired him) and the ricotta cheesecake. For wine we started with the Antinori Peppoli Chianti (which is great to order in a crowd since it pleases EVERY palate), and two bottles of Brancaia Il Blu. I love the Brancaia, bold, full, and great with a huge steak. And all our wine was COMPED. (I said VIP didn’t I???) AMAZING!!! Oh, I forgot to mention the homemade bread and focaccia. The focaccia had a nice flavor, but was a little dry, even with all the EVOO slathered all over it. Overall though, the meal was SOOO good, even AWESOME. The best part of course, is the company you bring with you to your meal. I love you guys!!! ;-)

2 comments:

Violet Cadburry said...

Gee Lety, here I was feeling for you and the long nights studying and attending boring stupid law classes, when in fact, you are out eating, drinking and partying until the wee hours of the morning! Just wait until you become an attorney -- that will all stop. Love your site and your parents are too cute. Tell them I said hi. Looking forward to see you on March 16 -- which is Charlie's B-Day by the way. Let me know if you want me bring my suits. Cheers Di.

Lety said...

No, that whole attending class and studying was first year. JUST KIDDING! I always make time for the things I love, like food, wine, and friends. I can't wait to see you! And your suits!